Research and Development (R&D) in Emerging Technologies
The R&D unit is actively engaged in applied research on emerging and cutting-edge technologies and aligns them to Nigerian national interest areas, with a special interest in promoting the national digital economy. The unit champions digital innovation, leveraging the research breakthroughs from the different projects carried by various research groups, and is also involved in the development of products and services based on research outcomes, which will be targeted towards commercialization and the creation of spin-offs to handle the commercialization of technologies.
The research activities in the center focus on Artificial Intelligence and related fields like Machine Learning (ML) and Deep learning (DL), Robotics, the Internet of Things (IoT), Blockchain technologies, Virtual and Augmented reality, and other relevant emerging technologies. The center’s priority is to explore and research these technologies, with a particular interest in their application for the technological advancement of the nation.
Some of the center’s immediate research and digital innovation directions include:
- Robotics and Drones: Digital manufacturing and industrial automation (Industry 4.0), and smart agriculture (agri 4.0)
- Artificial Intelligence (Machine and Deep Learning): Healthcare, cyber-security, and data analytics
- Internet of Things (IoT): Smart homes and cities, precision agriculture and industrial automation
- Virtual and Augmented Reality: Virtual learning, high-end gaming and telemedicine; and
- Blockchain: Finance, eGovernment and eVoting